Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Fate of the Wicked and Righteous Compared

The anonymous Psalmist in Psalm 92 compares the wicked and the righteous in this manner:

vs. 7. Although the wicked flourish like weeds [or grass KJV], and evildoers blossom with success, there is only eternal destruction ahead of them [or it is that they shall be destroyed for ever, [KJV] (NLT).

He continued, saying:

vs. 12 But the godly [righteous KJV] will flourish like Palm trees and grow strong like the cedars of Lebanon. 13For they are transplanted into the Lord’s own house. They flourish in the courts of our God. 14Even in old age they will still produce fruit; they shall remain vital and green [they shall be fat and flourishing KJV] 5They will declare, “The LORD is just! He is my rock! There is nothing but goodness in him! [the Lord is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him [KJV] (NLT).

The New Living Translation (NLT) Bible makes this commentary.

Palm trees are known for their longlife. To flourish like Palm trees means to stand tall and to live long. The cedars of Lebanon grew to 120 feet in height and up to 30 feet in circumference, thus, they were solid, strong and immovable. The Psalmist saw believers as upright, strong, and unmoved by the winds of circumstance. Those who place their faith firmly in God can have this strength and vitality.” (NLT p. 922, July 1996 Edition).

Why do I usually make reference to King James Version (KJV)? Because in Theology, the KJV is a translation nearest to the original Hebrew or Greek in which languages our Old Testament and New Testament were respectively originally written. And why do I often make reference to the New Living Translation (NLT)? Because “this translation is accomplished by translating entire thoughts (rather than just words) into natural everyday English. The end result is a translation that is easy to read and understand, and that accurately communicates the meaning of the original text”.

The Psalmist said: “Even in old age they will still produce fruit; they will remain vital and green”.

Again, I go back to one of my favorite expressions: “Experience is the best teacher.” When I was a young practitioner of the law profession, I was always nervous to face the Judges who usually are old, and well known successful practitioners before they were appointed to the judiciary. It is only when the trial of my case is done that I feel relieved. But now that I am old, I do not feel nervous anymore because I am always older than the oldest Judge (who has not retired), and being well experienced in the practice of the profession, I am conversant with the procedures of trial, and even the Judge address me as “Sir” in our conferences in the chambers, during pre-trial proceedings, which makes my younger adverse counsel “nervous.” I chose not to elaborate further. Imagine usually a very strict Judge addressing me “Sir” in the presence of my adversary counsel and his client!

The wisest man (King Solomon) that ever lived on earth whom the Bible tells us, “no one is wiser before him and after him,” said: “Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise; Why should thou destroy thyself? Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish; why should thou die before thy time?” (Eccl. 9:16-17 KJV). Meaning, going to the extreme is not good for us.

The Bible tells us also, “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it” (Prov. 22:6 KJV). Who are those who may be considered old? In our society today, a child is up to 12 years old; a youth is 13 to 25; 26 to 40 or 45 is middle age. Beyond this age may be considered matured up to 49. Age 50 and above may be considered old. Thus, Moses who was commissioned by God to liberate the Israelites (Hebrews) from their Egyptian bondage was 80 years old (with enough experience in life). Indeed, he was really old then! He died at the age of 120 and was buried by God himself. Moses said: “Seventy years are given to us! Some may reach even eighty. But even the best of those years are filled with pain and trouble; soon they disappear, and we are gone” (Psalm 90:10 NLT).

Abraham of old was called to active duty by God when he was already 75 years old. And these two personalities did some important missions worth recording in the Book of all Books – the Bible – the “Manufacturer’s Manual” for mankind.

In modern times, during World War II, Gen. Douglas MacArthur who was already a retired General of the U.S. Army was recalled to active duty when he was already 64 years old. In politics, Sir Winston Churchill became a Prime Minister of England at the age of 77. And these men did an excellent job in their respective field of endeavor.

Why old people are called to active duty? Because, I repeat for emphasis, “experience is the best teacher”.

How did I acquire a multi-million corporation client with 200 employees, consisting of mechanics, welders, aircon technicians, mechanical engineers, accountants, etc., that rebuilds and assembles Korean-made cars? The President of this corporation one day in 2003 after being disappointed with his former “younger” lawyer in a certain case, asked for recommendation from the staff of the court for an old (experienced) lawyer. By God’s will, they recommended me. Since then, this client stuck with me.

Learning from an experienced lawyer from Manila, Philippines, who was my co-counsel in some land cases in a 100-hectare residential subdivision in Davao City, Philippines, called the Davao Central Park Subdivision, who told me that very rich clients are usually stingy, but he said, “ask for what is abundant with him and he will readily give it to you.” So, every time I win a substantial case for this vehicle re-builder and assembler client, I ask a car for my fee. He would readily give me one of my choice, of course, a slightly used one almost brand new, and the bonus is that the brand new tires, batteries, and repairs, if any, are also free. Now, by the grace of God, I have more cars than I need. Praise God!

For those growing old like me, thank God for His blessing of old age. Just be “planted” in the courts of God, and you will flourish like Palm trees and grow strong like cedars of Lebanon. Even in old age, you shall bear fruit, you shall remain vital and green and flourishing, and receive manifold blessings both material and spiritual. To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment