Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Middle Ground: The Best Status In Life

The wisest of all men, Solomon, recommends that the best in life is to stay on the middle ground, Solomon said:

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise - why destroy yourself? Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool - why die before your time? It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other. The man who fears God will avoid all extremes” (Ecclesiastes 7:16-18 NIV).

We must have noticed that when the weather is extremely cold or extremely hot, it is not good. I had the opportunity to be in Chicago, U.S.A. from September to December in 2007. It was a snowy weather that the trees and the grasses are covered with snow. It was extremely cold, specially to Filipinos like me. On the other hand, I had also the opportunity to be in Sydney, Australia one December in 1997. It was extremely hot! We have to run inside the building where there is airconditioning. I remember in April 1988, I was a delegate to the Foursquare Gospel Church International Convention. It was springtime in California, U.S.A. It was neither cold nor hot. I enjoyed my vacation with my wife.

Experience is the best teacher. I said to myself, “there is no place better than my beloved Philippines where I was born,” where it is neither very hot nor very cold. In such kind of weather, it is much easier to survive and less expensive and less tiresome to live in comfort.

In Proverbs 30:7-9 (NIV), the Bible says:

7Two things I ask of you. O Lord; do not refuse me before I die;
8Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.
9Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘who is the LORD?’ or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.”

What did the great Apostle Paul say?

But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that” (1 Tim 6:8 NIV).

The Apostle is right. To me, the best stature in life is neither very rich nor very poor.


The LORD Jesus Christ is our best example. In those days, there were no Mercedes Benz or Rolls Royce or Toyota or Mitsubishi cars. They had only Camels which could be the equivalent of Mercedes Benz or Rolls Royce of today. But what ride did Jesus Christ select? He selected a donkey which could be the equivalent of our small cars of today. Small cars are very much less expensive in gas and in tires. It is much easier to find a parking place; they are means of transport for men of humility. It is godly and always good to be humble. The Lord Jesus said, “For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted” (Matt. 23:12 NIV). 

No comments:

Post a Comment