Saturday, January 11, 2014

A Man Of God, A Title Worth Pursuing

Happy New Year 2014!

In Bible times, a prophet of God is given the title “a man of God” (2 Kings 4:7) or “an holy man of God” (vs. 9). This is the title given to the prophet Elisha. This word “holy” has a highly significant spiritual meaning. It means “separated for God”, or belonging to God. God’s Word describes people such as Moses (Deut. 33:1) and the prophet Elijah (2 Kings 1:11) as “Man of God”. Stated otherwise, this was a title given to a representative or servants of our God Almighty.

Another meaning for the title can be a challenge for us to aspire for. In 2 Kings 4, the Bible relates of a Shunammite woman who verbalized her observation on the prophet Elisha. She remarked to her husband, “Look now, I know that this is a holy man of God.” Her reference to him as “holy” obviously indicate that she noticed Elisha was not only a man of God but also a godly man. This refers to the character and conduct of Elisha and the miracles of God accomplished through him. Thus, not only the prophets but anyone exhibiting the character and conduct of Jesus Christ (God incarnate, or in person, or in the flesh) and through whom miracles were done, can be identified as a “Man of God”. But as he which called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; because it is written, “Be ye holy; for I am holy” (1 Peter 1:15-16 KJV).

The Apostle Peter called for us to be holy, as a reflection of God’s holiness. We may never hold an honorable title as God’s prophet or spokesperson like Moses, but we are to be holy. To be holy does not mean perfection, for no one is perfect except one, the Lord Jesus Christ.

For example, David is described as a man after God’s own heart (1 Sam 13:14). But he was not perfect, for he committed adultery with Bathsheba, the mother of King Solomon, and also committed murder of Uriah, the husband of Bathsheba, in a subtle way. In Tagalog, “Hindi siya nag-iisa” (in English, King David is not alone). As a memorial or legacy of God’s LOVE for King David despite his transgressions, Jerusalem, the capital of the Christian world is named “City of David”. This makes the title “Man of God” a title worth pursuing.

As children of God, though not perfect, we ought to be like our Lord Jesus Christ in character and conduct. He was prayerful, always calling on the name of His Father especially before doing anything while ministering to the people, and conducted himself with the highest moral standard. This is not only very difficult; it is impossible, for it is written, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Rom. 3:23). And the penalty for sin is death (Rom. 6:23). But what is not possible with men is possible with God, for with God nothing shall be impossible (Luke 1:37).

Should we fail, what is the scriptural remedy? We confess and repent like what King David did.

32 Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.
When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.
For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.
I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.” (Psalm 32:1-5 KJV)

David also wrote:

51 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.”
x x x x x x x x x

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.” (Psalm 51:1-3; 7-12 KJV)


No one can save himself by good deeds. We are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, “not by works lest any man should boast; it is the gift of God” (Eph. 2:8-9 KJV). This is the reason why God sent his only begotten Son who is sinless the perfect Son of man and also a perfect Son of God, and to die in the cross of Calvary in substitution for sinful men, or in other words, to redeem all sinners, provided that the sinner believes in Him (John 3:16). This is the reason why Jesus said: “I am the way, the truth, and the life: No one cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6 KJV). Therefore, to be blessed, BE A MAN OF GOD, or better still “A HOLY MAN OF GOD”. Be separate for God. This is the title or “degree” worth pursuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment