Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Treasure Of Eternity

I am now in my early scriptural age of three score and ten [70] (Ps. 90:10), which means that I’m looking at a maximum year of about 15 more years of life to enjoy the material and spiritual blessings of God. Everything is in God’s hand. “My times are in thy hand”, the Psalmist says (Psalm 31:15).

Many people, whether in their fifties or whatever be their age, unfortunately don’t bother to read the Bible - - the love letter of God to all men. Why? Because they do not love God.

In my youth, I have to read, review and re-read the letter of my girlfriend such that I can memorize it like John 3:16. Why? Because I love her and I don’t tire reading her love letters. I enjoy reading her letters: they are my inspiration to live. So also if we love God (Jesus Christ in person), we don’t tire reading or even memorizing the Bible. The Bible inspires us especially in times of trouble: whether in our personal relationships, social or otherwise, in business, in our chosen profession, or in our finances, and more so during times we are afflicted.

I was in my early 30’s (like the age of Jesus Christ) when I was afflicted which led me to seek God, His kingdom and His righteousness [Jesus Christ] (John 3:16). Praise God and by his grace, I have overcome my affliction and am still alive and very active in my chose profession - - that of a human advocate - - the profession of our LORD Jesus Christ.

In Psalm 119 vs. 67, we read: “Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word”. … “It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn they statutes” (vs. 71). When I came to know the Lord and his Word, I found out: “The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver” (vs. 72).

I have found the way to the salvation of my soul (John 3:16) and I found out that the Word of God “is a lamp unto my feet, and light unto my path” (vs. 105). Now, I can truly say from the innermost recesses of my heart, “O how love I thy law! It is my meditation all the day. Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than my enemies: for they are ever with me” (Ps. 119:97-98).

As a lawyer and an active practitioner of the profession for almost half of a century now, I have plenty of “enemies”, yet I can truly affirm and relate what the Psalmist said: “How sweet are thy words unto my taste! Yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through thy precepts I get understanding: (wisdom) therefore I hate every false way” (vss. 103-104). I can relate to the Psalmist’s conclusion: “Therefore, I love thy commandment (law and precepts) above gold, yea, above fine gold” (vs. 127).

No matter how much more time we have left in this world, we can start reading the Bible today if that has not been our practice previously. Resolve to read it regularly. It is the Book that will bless us and guide us while we are still in this valley of tears and joy, foremost to “make us wise unto salvation through faith in Jesus Christ” (2 Tim. 3:15), and we can be sure of blessedness of eternal life here now in this world, and in the new world to come.



In all books, literature and reading materials, there is nothing that compares with the canonized Holy Bible. We can read in the Bible the most interesting stories or accounts of love, riches, prosperity and poverty, of kings and the most ordinary people as examples for us to follow or to avoid. We can learn the most interesting spiritual laws as well as human laws and principles of right living. In a word, we can acquire WISDOM. King Solomon said: “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her. She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee. Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many (Proverbs 4:7-10 KJV). And, if we “walk” according to the ways of God, we shall have the most precious treasure for eternity - - eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ, the LORD and only Savior of our soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment