Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Primacy of Prayer in Our Daily Life


The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun” (Ecclesiastes 1:9) says the wise King Solomon.

When I was in Bible School in 1974, one of our subjects was Christian Service which was actually actual practice in the ministry. I was then already on the eleventh year in the practice of my profession as a lawyer.

Having a surplus military jeep which was then the favorite and appropriate ride in Davao due to the rough condition of our roads particularly in the provinces, I volunteered to drive and assist our Christian Service Instructor in the Saturday Prison Ministry at the Davao Penal Colony (DAPECOL) somewhere in the boundary of Panabo and Sto. Tomas, Davao del Norte. I enjoyed being with my teacher because we were served with abundant fresh and luscious fruits and when we go home we have plenty of fruits, like large papayas and assorted vegetables to bring home to our family. Besides, there were beautifully carved small corner round tables and tea tables made out of Narra roots for sale from the prisoners at very low and affordable prices. I still have them in our home, and also a long narra dining table with carvings which I bought for only P500.00 and which I converted into a conference table now in our law office. These are my material lasting remembrance in my Bible school days, which are now a rarity because the vast DAPECOL area abounding with Narra trees has been converted into a plantation of exportable Cavendish bananas.

After a few Saturday meetings in DAPECOL, at the start of the meeting, my teacher without previous notice to me suddenly announced, “Hilingin natin si Atty. Cariaga na magbigay ng opening prayer.” Although, except for our team composed of my teacher, her assistant and myself, everybody was a prisoner, yet I felt extremely nervous. That was my first time to make a “public” prayer, especially because being an Ilocano, I ought to pray in Tagalog which was the medium of speech in DAPECOL. I tell you, I did not know how to start my prayer; I do not recall now what I said; and I did not know how to end my prayer. Deep in my heart, I knew that was a colossal failure on my part. I was so nervous and embarrassed beyond measure and description in words, especially because everybody knew I was a lawyer. How come I did not know how to pray? And more so, as I was driving for home, my teacher remarked, “Hindi ka sanay mag-pray ano?” I tell you, I was not able to sleep well for about a week thinking of my extreme embarrassment. Personally, I no longer wanted to go back to DAPECOL and face again the congregation of prisoners, but at the same time I did not like to fail in my Christian service subject.

Since then, I resolved to practice by myself alone how to pray aloud, and I bought books on prayer, so if called again to pray, I would know already how and what to pray. Since then, while driving to DAPECOL, I always tried to frame in my mind how and what to pray just in case my teacher will call on me again! I learned from my mistake.

Experience is the best teacher! This is my lasting spiritual legacy from my DAPECOL ministry.

What is prayer? The simplest definition of prayer is talking to God about anything under the sun. On the other hand, the answer of God and how he will answer is already written in the Bible. When and how often should we pray? King David, describe in the Bible as “a man after God’s own heart”, when he was already king said, “Evening, and morning and at noon will I pray” (Ps. 55:17). The great Apostle Paul said, “Pray without ceasing (1 Thess. 5:17). Of course, this is a figurative statement which should not be taken literally, for then we can’t do our business anymore, and earn a living. But spiritually speaking, this is possible. “Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit” (Eph. 6:18). “For your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him” (Matt. 6:8). In fact, “The LORD knoweth the thoughts of man” (Ps. 94.11). “The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain” (1 Cor. 3:20).

The Lord Jesus Christ is our best example. In the gospel written by Mark, Jesus was rendering overtime deep in the evening attending to, and healing many, that were brought to him that were diseased, and them that were possessed with devils, and afflicted with diverse diseases (Mark 1:34). “And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed” (vs. 35).

Before he told his disciples to distribute the bread and fish to feed the five thousand people excluding women and children, “he looked up to heaven, and blessed, and broke the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before them” (Mark 6:41).

Thus, whenever the Lord Jesus does something miraculous, the first thing he does is to look up to his Father in heaven and pray. When Lazarus died for four days already, in resurrecting him, “Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, “Father, I thank thee that thou hast heard me. And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou has sent me. And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus come forth” (John 11:41-43). And Lazarus resurrected! Jesus Christ prayed to his Father for his disciples and all believers (John 17).

When he was crucified, his first utterance was, “Father forgive them for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34).

Space and time will not permit numerous examples in our Bible of the prayers uttered by great Bible characters like Abraham, Moses, King David, Solomon, other kings like Hezekiah, etc. and the prophets. But the moral lesson is that no matter how fortunate or blessed we are in being bestowed by God with extraordinary mind or ability, we can’t rely on our own efforts alone, we have to always depend on God who promised, “I’ll never leave you nor forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5) and “Lo, I’m with you always to the end of the world” (Matt. 28:20).

God does not require us to be the best; he merely requires us to do our best.

The best doctor before he does a difficult and delicate surgery, always prays to God to give him wisdom and to stable his mind, nerves and hands. The best lawyer when he sits down to write any pleading on behalf of his client, or enter into actual trial or hearing in court ought first to pray to God for wisdom and a large and understanding heart so he can ask proper and pertinent questions, and adduce evidence to bring out the truth, or prepare a persuasive pleading, remembering what King Solomon, the wisest man that ever lived on earth, said, “From a wise mind comes wise speech: the words of the wise are persuasive” (Prov. 16:23 NLT). In the King James version (KJV), this is how this proverb is stated: “The heart of the wise teaches his mouth, and addeth learning to his speech.” Meaning, we learn something good from a wise man’s speech. So, let us keep listening to the wise. Let us master Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, the Psalms and the book of Job.

Solomon emphasizes, “Wise speech is rarer and more valuable than gold and rubies” (Prov. 20:15 NLT).

The disciples of the Lord Jesus asked him, “Lord teach us how to pray.”

The Lord Jesus said: “When ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen (pagan) do; for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking”. A repetitious and memorized prayer is of pagan origin which normally does not come from the heart, and means nothing before God! Then he gave them a sample pattern prayer, which is now popularly known as the Lord’s prayer. He said, “After this manner therefore pray ye:

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.” (Matt. 6:9-13 KJV).

This is the most perfect prayer, as it is brief but complete as it embraces everything material, physical and spiritual needs of every man. The Acrostic is: A-doration; C-onfession; T-hanksgiving; S-upplication (ACTS).

Martin Luther said: “The fewer the words the better the prayer”.

A certain restaurant owner advertised that Christians are entitled to fifty (50%) discount. A “barkada” of young people ordered the best and most expensive menu relying that they will only pay 50% of the total bill. After they have eaten to their complete satisfaction, they tried to claim for the advertised discount of 50% because they said, they are Christians. The Cashier refused to honor their claim. The reason: they did not pray before taking their meal. “Thou then art not a Christian that art not a praying person” and the Cashier further said: “Actions speak louder than words.”

No comments:

Post a Comment